Arguably, the Mosquito is the most annoying pest. Nothing can ruin a summer barbeque more than one of these creatures “eating you alive.” A professional mosquito pest control service can help preserve your sanity and comfort when they become a major nuisance.
The Mosquito goes through four developmental stages; the egg, larva, pupa and adult. The female needs a blood meal before laying eggs. The female will lay the eggs in standing water, such as lakes, puddles or even that build up of water in your gutters. So the more rain, the more mosquitoes there will be. Once the juvenile is mature, it can live for four to eight weeks.
Their mouthparts have adapted to piercing the skin of plants and animals, obviously humans seem to be their favorite snack. It’s not the males you have to worry about either; male mosquitoes are mostly nectar feeders. It’s the females who are looking for a blood meal before they lay their eggs. Mosquitoes are a favorite snack of bats. In the wild, bats consume thousands of these insects in one night, providing a natural means of mosquito pest control.
The first and best line of defense against these pests is not only to hire a mosquito pest control service, but to eliminate the places where they breed. Here are a few suggestions:
- Empty any standing water that has collected on your property
- Make sure cisterns, cesspools, septic tanks, fire barrels, rain barrels and trash containers are covered tightly with a lid or with 16-mesh screen.
- Empty plastic wading pools at least once a week and store indoors when not in use.
- Change the water in bird baths and plant pots or drip trays at least once each week.
- Empty your pet’s water bowl daily.
- Level the ground around your home so water can run off and not collect in low spots. Fill in holes or depressions near your home that accumulate water.
- Fill in tree rot holes and hollow stumps that hold water.
- Keep weeds and tall grass cut short.
Catseye Pest Control provides professional mosquito pest control services, from a complete inspection to thorough treatment to ongoing prevention. Contact us today to take care of your problems.