Facts About Mold Beetles
The mold beetle is one of the many names for beetles that are attracted to moist, humid conditions with fungi, mold, and mildew occur. The mold beetle is a general term for the foreign grain beetle, hairy fungus beetle, plaster or minute brown beetle, sigmoid fungus beetle, or the acute-angled fungus beetle.
Mold Beetles commonly appear when new homes are built because much of the lumber and plastered or papered walls can become covered with molds. These beetles are drawn to these environments, and will often stick around as long as the conditions last.
Mold Beetle Bites
Mold beetles are a nuisance pest and do not bite or sting people. They also don’t spread disease or cause structural damage.
Life Cycle & Habitat
Beetles most commonly appear after rainy weather. They will usually be seen in the summer months, starting in late July and going through September. Most of these beetles live only around 25 to 36 days if the temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit, 54 days at 65 degrees, or even five months at lower temperatures. When these beetles are in the larvae stage, they will feed on the spores of different fungi. As they mature, they will feed on anything moist that has the potential to produce mold, such as green lumber, wet plaster, and moldy grains.
Mold Beetles will often be found in decaying plants; woodpiles; mammal, ant, or plant nests. They become a nuisance to humans when they are found in breakfast cereals, grains, herbs, cheese, and jam, eating moldy portions of these products. Mold Beetles are often found underneath carpeting, particularly if it is in a cellar.
Types of Mold Beetles
Mold Beetle Identification
Also known as minute brown scavenger beetle
Mold Beetles occur in a variety of colors and sizes, not that they’re a wanted accessory in your home. The foreign grain beetle appears camel-brown, about 1/ 16 of an inch long and covered with dense hair. Some fungus beetles can be less than 1/12 of an inch long and are usually either yellow or black.
Identifying Minute Brown Beetles
Larger populations of beetles have been known to congregate in bathtubs or sinks, or even around TVs and lamps because of the light they emit.
While mold beetles are not harmful to humans, they are a nuisance if you find them in your home. They can find their way into stored foods, contaminating them will skins and excretions.They can also infest areas that are poorly ventilated, high in humidity, or leak.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you control mold beetle infestations?
Usually, most cases of infestation are temporary. The mold beetles will leave on their own once the environment no longer suits their needs.
However, if the infestation persists, it is important to locate where they are coming from. This is often difficult because mold beetles attach themselves to many different areas like flowers, wall voids, windows, and plumbing. Once the source is identified, attempt to dry out the area to reduce or eliminate the population. New homes that are experiencing an increased amount of mold beetles will dry out naturally within two years, so the numbers of beetles should decrease naturally.
If the beetles have not left the home after drying the affected areas, fungicides and insecticides may be applied. Spray them around windows, doors, and other entry points, as well as lights that may attract beetles in the first place.
What are the Benefits of Professional Mold Beetle Pest Control?
A pest management professional has the education, equipment and skills necessary to effectively address an mold beetle problem. Finding and treating the mold beetles can be challenging, especially if they are spread throughout your yard. A pest management professional provides their expertise to identify the pest problem and determine the best possible solution to resolve the mold beetle infestation.