When most people think of bats, they think of Halloween, but the spooky holiday gives these winged critters a bad rap. Bats are fascinating creatures and a huge benefit to the ecosystem. Here are seven amazing facts about bats that will blow your mind.
- There are almost 1,000 species of bats in the world and 40 of them live in North America.
- Bats live in almost every type of habitat except for the polar regions and some very dry deserts.
- Larger bats in Indonesia, known as Flying Foxes, can have wingspans as big as 6 feet.
- One Little Brown Bat can eat more than 1,000 mosquitoes in a single hour. These critters are nature's best form of pest control!
- Little Brown Bats can also stop breathing for nearly an hour while hibernating. This helps them use less energy.
- Bats are important pollinators of many agricultural crops like bananas, figs and cashews.
- Thailand's Bumblebee Bat weighs less than a penny!
These facts barely scratch the surface of the incredible world of bats. Bat species everywhere are in decline because their habitats are being disrupted and many species in the United States are considered endangered. Catseye Pest Control uses humane exclusion techniques when handling bats that are living in people's homes. The bats are not harmed in any way.
Bats are really cool, just not as roomies. If you have bats in your home contact us today!