A couple of summers ago, Catseye Pest Control’s business development representative, Hanna Bush, was out walking her dog Tripp when the large Mountain Curr mix stepped on a ground bee nest. Next thing she knew there were bees everywhere, stinging her and the dog. Tripp whipped his head around and cried out as the bees attacked his chest and face. Frightened, Hanna began tearing the bees out of the dog’s fur with her hands before they both bolted back to the house. Tripp was fine, but to this day he refuses to walk on the side of the street where the bees attacked. This story is a good reminder that there can be bee stings in dogs and cats too! Use these tips to protect your dog or cat from bees and learn what to do if they do get stung.
Preventing Bee Stings in Dogs and Cats
We know your dog or cat is not just a pet, but a furry friend and family member — so we’re recommending these tips to keep them safe from bees.
- Avoid penning or securing your pet if you know there is a bee nest nearby. Don’t take any chances; your pet will have nowhere to run if the bees start stinging.
- Keep your pets in the house when doing yard work like mowing the lawn, weed whacking and pruning bushes. These are the times when bee nests are usually disturbed and you don’t want your pet to get caught in the crossfire.
- Encourage your dog to stay on the trail when going for a walk or hiking, they are less likely to disturb a bee nest if they’re not bounding into the woods.
- Make sure your pet avoids flowerbeds because they are often full of bees that are busy collecting pollen.
- Keep an eye on where your pet is digging; you don’t want them to unearth a ground nest.
What To Do If Your Dog or Cat Gets Stung
Sometimes, no matter what you do, your dog or cat will get stung. Here’s what you should know if this happens:
- Try to call your pet inside the house or into the car if bees are stinging them.
- Release your dog if they are on a leash while being stung. Check to make sure it is safe for them to run first.
- If you have it on hand, cover your pet with a blanket or towel to discourage the bees from stinging.
- Douse your pet with soapy water to immobilize any bees clinging to the fur.
- Once your pet is safely away from the bees, check them for stingers. Use a credit card or knife to carefully scrape the stinger out. Don’t pinch and pull out the stinger with tweezers or your fingers, this could push more venom into the wound.
- If your pet collapses, is vomiting, has diarrhea, difficulty breathing or a swollen face/neck — they could be allergic. Seek the veterinary care as soon as possible.
Bee stings in dogs and cats can be scary; we hope these tips come in handy when it comes to keeping your furriest family member safe.
Photo Credit: kitty.green66/Flickr