Fall means lots of furry critters getting into your home. Use these tips to save your home from squirrels so you can continue to enjoy these fluffy-tailed rodents in the wild!
How Do Squirrels Get in Your House?
Squirrels will do whatever it takes to break inside your home to find shelter and warmth. Some species, like Eastern gray squirrels and flying squirrels, will usually enter at the top of your house, squeezing through gable vents, soffits and dislodged siding. Red squirrels and fox squirrels will typically enter closer to ground level, under siding and through stone foundations. A hole the size of a quarter is all it takes for a Flying Squirrel to sneak inside. Red Squirrels need an opening the size of a half dollar while gray squirrels need something a little larger, about the size of a racket ball. Squirrels will chew any openings they find to make it large enough for them to fit through.
Once squirrels get inside and make nests in your basement, wall voids or attic, they can cause all sorts of damage. Squirrels will tear up insulation and walls, chew on all sorts of objects like electrical wires and garden hoses and will even bring in branches and other debris to build their nests. Between all this and an abundance of squirrel droppings, squirrels can make quite a mess!
Protect Your Home
- Make routine home maintenance a habit. Seal up cracks and crevices along your foundation and replace rotting or damaged siding, soffit and fascia.
- Install bird feeders at least 30 feet away from your house. It’s fun to watch the birds, but bird feeders can also entice squirrels to move in with you.
- Trim back shrubs and tree branches. Overgrown vegetation makes it easier for squirrels to hide and access your home.
- Keep outdoor garbage cans covered as food scraps can attract squirrels. Metal garbage cans are best because squirrels can’t chew through them.
- Shield your home against squirrel entry. Intensive seal-up methods, like Catseye Pest Control’s Cat-Guard Exclusion Systems, protect your home from nuisance wildlife. And it’s environmentally friendly!
Having a problem with squirrels? Are they driving you nuts? Call us today for a no cost inspection at 1-888-260-3980.